artistic, liberal tablangs only

Friday, October 08, 2004

hey guys - I have a project that i'm putting together. I'd love your input on it. I want to go to the Philippines and shoot a documentary about young women in Manila who are trying to make it in the world. I was inspired by a young woman who was my mother's masseuse when I was in Manila. Her story was fascinating to me. She had moved to Manila from a small town, to work for an American family. But she moved up from working as a maid to starting her own small business as a masseuse and beautician, going from home to home on recommendation. She's going to school in computer science, and was awesome to talk to - I'm wondering what happened to her.
Also, my mom had put together a microloaning bank a few years ago to lend to small business owners in manila. She met some really interesting people and she's totally supportive of my idea (!).
I've been meeting with people who've done similar things and connecting with political ppl the parents know over there (the ambassador, manang jopie (uncle jun's daughter - the super-uncle who put estrada in jail). I'd love to have one of you guys come over with me when I do this. It will probably take about a year of planning and I'm applying for a Fulbright. However I will probably take a trip to manila for a few weeks in the summer to get the "lay of the land" - who's up to going with me ??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home